Monday, March 30, 2020

Week 9: Akira and Ghost in The Shell


So for week nine we went over very iconic Manga and Anime that influenced the world of cyberpunk and influenced various other medias to come. As the Anime we went over we watched Akira. This movie was a great balance of incorporating various different story elements to make such a compelling story. It had the horror and whimsy of something like Stranger Things where there is a top secret government hiding a big secret from its citizens. However, it also incorporated the gang type of relationship that involved the teens partaking in small mischievous actions like something out of West Side Story. The environment had all the cyber punk elements of Blade Runner but also incorporating this alien-esque feel.  Out of everything though I feel my favorite part about the Anime was the stylistic way it was created. You could tell that it was made in the 80's by its cinematography, music score, and its overall futuristic yet grounded to earth content. I loved every minute of the movie and it definitely captured the cyberpunk world that was being showcased.

As for the Manga, we read Ghost in a Shell. I've heard of this manga before being asked to read it due to its insanely popular following. I believe as a manga, this captured perfectly this alternative cyber punk world where people are merged with machine. I personally loved the artistic style of the characters, but I also equally liked when the images would have a vintaged tinge of color to them. I was very enticed by the few chapters that I did read, and I see why it has such a "cult" following.

No comments:

Post a Comment