Thursday, April 2, 2020

Week 10: Isekai

As we go into Week 10, we explored the world of Isekai. Isekai is a popular genre of manga where the main protagonist suffers but will end up being transported from one world into another.

As a class we analyzed both a Manga and Anime to explore the world of Isekai. As a Manga we read The Time I Got Reincarnated As A Slime. Within chapter one we are introduced to our main character, Satoru Mikami who ends up dying within the first few pages after being stabbed by an attacker. Satoru ends up dying, and being transformed into a slime-like life form. He then is challenged to figure out what his capabilities are in this new state. During this time he also encounters various monsters including a giant dragon that he can communicate with his mind.

This was my first time hearing and reading this manga so when I first began reading it I was intrigued right from the moment our main protagonist gets killed. The only thing I knew from the title was that our main protagonist became a slime at some point. Once I, the reader, then was exposed to the brand new world that Satoru was brought to my curiosity peaked. I will continue to read the rest of the chapters throughout the week due to its enticing nature.

We also analyzed the Anime The Boy and The Beast by Mamoru Hosota. In this we are introduced to Ren who comes into contact with Kumatetsu, a bear-like creature who is a skilled fighter looking for an apprentice. This tale reminded me a little of prior movies i've watched with the teacher/student archetype like Rocky or the Sorcerers Apprentice. This was my first time watching this movie, and I gotta say I really enjoyed the art! I know that the movie archetype is cliche, but it was still enticing!

No comments:

Post a Comment